Karibu!

Welcome to my blog about my life in Tanzania. My name is Joseph Landry and I am a 22 year old Canadian living in the semi-rural village of Iringa on a 10 month internship. After I graduated with a B.Sc. from the University of Northern British Columbia in beautiful Prince George, BC, I began applying for the Canadian International Development Agency's International Youth Internship Program. I ended up getting a position with a great organization named Emmanuel International as a Primary Health Care Worker in the Amani Training Centre.

So I hope that you enjoy this blog and let me know if you have any questions or comments!

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Water Hyena

The word for otter in Swahili is “fisi maji”, which literally translates to “water hyena”. I don’t know about you but the last time I saw an otter it didn’t seem nearly as ferocious as hyena; apparently when kids are acting up their parents sometimes call them a fisi maji… I suppose when there is only a limited frame of reference these things happen. Case in point, a zebra is called a “punda milia”, which means “striped donkey”. That is one name I can get my head around.

No comments: